- Coming Soon April 2
"What happened? What did you do to my stomach? What's going on?" asks Scarlett Johansson in the first trailer for Luc Besson's Lucy. As it turns out, she's been subjected to a nasty bout of involuntary surgery, and the villains want her to serve as a kind of mule for a mysterious new drug.
But hey, look on the bright side: When the drug package starts leaking while it's still inside her, it inexplicably grants Lucy with a wide array of physical and mental powers. It's enough to make Morgan Freeman repeat the ridiculous old saw that human beings only use 10 percent of their brain function. (Maybe this is a stealth sequel to Limitless.) Lucy reports that she's now operating with 28 percent, which is enough to make her "feel every living thing" — and as the number continues to climb higher, her abilities seem to defy the very laws of physics.
In case it wasn't already clear, Lucy looks totally ludicrous — but with any luck, it'll be the fun kind of of ludicrous instead of the annoying kind. We'll find out when Lucy hits theaters in August. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Eric Holder blew it as attorney general. His replacement will, too,
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- 10 innovative furniture designs that brilliantly save you space
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
Subscribe to the Week