- Coming Soon April 2
"What happened? What did you do to my stomach? What's going on?" asks Scarlett Johansson in the first trailer for Luc Besson's Lucy. As it turns out, she's been subjected to a nasty bout of involuntary surgery, and the villains want her to serve as a kind of mule for a mysterious new drug.
But hey, look on the bright side: When the drug package starts leaking while it's still inside her, it inexplicably grants Lucy with a wide array of physical and mental powers. It's enough to make Morgan Freeman repeat the ridiculous old saw that human beings only use 10 percent of their brain function. (Maybe this is a stealth sequel to Limitless.) Lucy reports that she's now operating with 28 percent, which is enough to make her "feel every living thing" — and as the number continues to climb higher, her abilities seem to defy the very laws of physics.
In case it wasn't already clear, Lucy looks totally ludicrous — but with any luck, it'll be the fun kind of of ludicrous instead of the annoying kind. We'll find out when Lucy hits theaters in August. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week