- Coming Soon April 2
"What happened? What did you do to my stomach? What's going on?" asks Scarlett Johansson in the first trailer for Luc Besson's Lucy. As it turns out, she's been subjected to a nasty bout of involuntary surgery, and the villains want her to serve as a kind of mule for a mysterious new drug.
But hey, look on the bright side: When the drug package starts leaking while it's still inside her, it inexplicably grants Lucy with a wide array of physical and mental powers. It's enough to make Morgan Freeman repeat the ridiculous old saw that human beings only use 10 percent of their brain function. (Maybe this is a stealth sequel to Limitless.) Lucy reports that she's now operating with 28 percent, which is enough to make her "feel every living thing" — and as the number continues to climb higher, her abilities seem to defy the very laws of physics.
In case it wasn't already clear, Lucy looks totally ludicrous — but with any luck, it'll be the fun kind of of ludicrous instead of the annoying kind. We'll find out when Lucy hits theaters in August. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week