- Coming Soon April 2
"What happened? What did you do to my stomach? What's going on?" asks Scarlett Johansson in the first trailer for Luc Besson's Lucy. As it turns out, she's been subjected to a nasty bout of involuntary surgery, and the villains want her to serve as a kind of mule for a mysterious new drug.
But hey, look on the bright side: When the drug package starts leaking while it's still inside her, it inexplicably grants Lucy with a wide array of physical and mental powers. It's enough to make Morgan Freeman repeat the ridiculous old saw that human beings only use 10 percent of their brain function. (Maybe this is a stealth sequel to Limitless.) Lucy reports that she's now operating with 28 percent, which is enough to make her "feel every living thing" — and as the number continues to climb higher, her abilities seem to defy the very laws of physics.
In case it wasn't already clear, Lucy looks totally ludicrous — but with any luck, it'll be the fun kind of of ludicrous instead of the annoying kind. We'll find out when Lucy hits theaters in August. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Israel's quiet doomsday submarines are almost ready
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week