- Coming Soon April 2
In 2009, audiences around the world turned the Kevin James vehicle Paul Blart: Mall Cop into a surprise hit. The film grossed $183 million by promising filmgoers a slapstick Die Hard knock-off with a main character whose name rhymes with "fart."
But fans demanded more. After such a stirring introduction to the Blartiverse, and the countless colorful characters who populate it, why release just a single film? Why not shamelessly milk it into a franchise?
Sony is not deaf to your pleas. According to Variety, Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 is slated to hit theaters on April 17, 2015. (That's 379 days from now, if you'd like to make your calendar in advance.)
Of course, the brief announcement leaves so many questions for fans to puzzle over. After six years of marriage, have Paul Blart and beloved crush Amy Anderson retained the spark that led to their marriage in the post-credits tag at the end of the first Blart? Does the evil Veck Simms have a brother who will seek revenge on Blart for stopping his evil plan? Will Jackie Sandler appear in another gratuitous cameo as a Victoria's Secret employee? The answers to these questions — and more — when Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 (Yes, We Seriously Couldn't Come Up With a Better Title Than That) arrives in theaters next year.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week