- Nature's Nightmares April 3
A husband and wife in southern Texas believe that the hairless animal with big claws that they caught in their yard is the legendary chupacabra. The chupacabra is said to be a grotesque creature that sucks the blood out of goats and cattle, and it's almost certain to cause nightmares if you ever decide to do a Google Image search.
Jackie Stock and Arlen Parma discovered the animal on Sunday; it has dark skin, lots of teeth, and a distinctive growl. Parma is an avid hunter, and says he's never seen — or heard — anything like it.
"A coon doesn't make that noise, or a possum," he told Newscenter25. "What makes that noise? I guess a chupacabra does."
Brent Ortego, a wildlife diversity biologist with Texas Parks and Wildlife — who, to be fair, has only seen photos of the creature — says he believes this chupacabra is a small canine with mange, which is why it has no hair. Whatever it is, it's currently being kept in a cage outside, and being fed corn and cat food. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week