- Coming Soon April 3
One death-defying stunt wasn't enough for daredevil Nik Wallenda. Discovery is banking on recapturing the ratings magic of his tightrope walk across the Grand Canyon this fall with an urban-themed stunt. This time, Wallenda will tightrope-walk between two Chicago skyscrapers in a live special called Skywire Live With Nik Wallenda.
Wallenda originally wanted to walk between two buildings without a harness in New York, but the city nixed his plans. Since Discovery is still in the permit application process, it's so far unclear where Wallenda will cross, though it should be noted that Chicago is home to the 1,451-foot-tall Willis Tower.
Judging by Mayor Rahm Emanuel's reaction, it doesn't sound like Wallenda is going to have any trouble receiving the permits. "Chicago is home to the first skyscraper and has played host to countless world events, and this will be one for the history books," he said.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week