- Watch this April 4
During Thursday night's Late Show with David Letterman, the host announced that after 5,914 shows alongside bandleader and sidekick Paul Shaffer, he will retire sometime in 2015.
Not knowing whether or not it was a joke, the audience remained silent until Letterman quipped, "What this means now is that Paul and I can be married."
Letterman said that he discussed his decision earlier in the day with CBS head Leslie Moonves; he then thanked everyone, from the staff at The Late Show to the audience at home, for being part of the ride. Watch the entire announcement below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Surviving a plane crash
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Everything you need to master Chinese cooking
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The greatest sniper duel in history is a myth
Subscribe to the Week