- Huh? April 4
It's a good thing Hello Kitty doesn't have a mouth, or Gudetama might not be long for this world.
The newest Sanrio character, Gudetama isn't an adorable frog (see: Keroppi) or even a penguin with an attitude (Bad Badtz-Maru); rather, he's an egg. The Los Angeles Times reports that last year, fans voted in a contest for new characters based on Japanese food items. Gudetama came in second place, losing the top spot to a salmon head named Kirimi-chan, whose visage now graces tote bags, glassware, and other items at Sanrio stores.
In case you think this is an April Fools' joke with a very delayed punch line, well, here's another reason to think so: To go along with Gudetama's debut, Sanrio dropped a very unusual video featuring interpretive dancing by a cartoon person in what appears to be an egg costume. Maybe they can follow it up with a clip of Chococat explaining what is going on. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week