- Huh? April 4
It's a good thing Hello Kitty doesn't have a mouth, or Gudetama might not be long for this world.
The newest Sanrio character, Gudetama isn't an adorable frog (see: Keroppi) or even a penguin with an attitude (Bad Badtz-Maru); rather, he's an egg. The Los Angeles Times reports that last year, fans voted in a contest for new characters based on Japanese food items. Gudetama came in second place, losing the top spot to a salmon head named Kirimi-chan, whose visage now graces tote bags, glassware, and other items at Sanrio stores.
In case you think this is an April Fools' joke with a very delayed punch line, well, here's another reason to think so: To go along with Gudetama's debut, Sanrio dropped a very unusual video featuring interpretive dancing by a cartoon person in what appears to be an egg costume. Maybe they can follow it up with a clip of Chococat explaining what is going on. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week