- FYI April 6
Captain America: The Winter Soldier knocked out the competition this weekend, taking in $96.2 million in North America and shattering the previous record for an April opening — $86.2 million for 2011's Fast Five, the fifth Fast and Furious film.
The new Captain America opened overseas first, and over the course of 10 days has brought in $207.1 million. According to The Hollywood Reporter, close to 40 percent of the U.S. audience saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier in 3D, 64 percent of moviegoers were male, and 57 percent were over the age of 25.
Noah came in a distant second with $17 million, a 61 percent decrease from its opening the previous weekend.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
Subscribe to the Week