- Backlash April 7
After the backlash against General Mills's Cheerios ad that starred an interracial family, Honey Maid knew what it was getting into with its latest ad campaign. The brand's "This is Wholesome" commercials feature nontraditional families, including same-sex and interracial couples. Unsurprisingly, the ads have received mixed reviews.
Rather than pulling the commercials, though, Honey Maid responded by creating another video. The brand hired two artists to create a positive message using printouts of the hate mail and negative online comments about the ads. The result is heartwarming. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- Why insects are the future of food
- The week's best editorial cartoons
Subscribe to the Week