- Backlash April 7
After the backlash against General Mills's Cheerios ad that starred an interracial family, Honey Maid knew what it was getting into with its latest ad campaign. The brand's "This is Wholesome" commercials feature nontraditional families, including same-sex and interracial couples. Unsurprisingly, the ads have received mixed reviews.
Rather than pulling the commercials, though, Honey Maid responded by creating another video. The brand hired two artists to create a positive message using printouts of the hate mail and negative online comments about the ads. The result is heartwarming. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week