- Backlash April 7
After the backlash against General Mills's Cheerios ad that starred an interracial family, Honey Maid knew what it was getting into with its latest ad campaign. The brand's "This is Wholesome" commercials feature nontraditional families, including same-sex and interracial couples. Unsurprisingly, the ads have received mixed reviews.
Rather than pulling the commercials, though, Honey Maid responded by creating another video. The brand hired two artists to create a positive message using printouts of the hate mail and negative online comments about the ads. The result is heartwarming. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Rise of the machines
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week