- Backlash April 7
After the backlash against General Mills's Cheerios ad that starred an interracial family, Honey Maid knew what it was getting into with its latest ad campaign. The brand's "This is Wholesome" commercials feature nontraditional families, including same-sex and interracial couples. Unsurprisingly, the ads have received mixed reviews.
Rather than pulling the commercials, though, Honey Maid responded by creating another video. The brand hired two artists to create a positive message using printouts of the hate mail and negative online comments about the ads. The result is heartwarming. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
Subscribe to the Week