- Backlash April 7
After the backlash against General Mills's Cheerios ad that starred an interracial family, Honey Maid knew what it was getting into with its latest ad campaign. The brand's "This is Wholesome" commercials feature nontraditional families, including same-sex and interracial couples. Unsurprisingly, the ads have received mixed reviews.
Rather than pulling the commercials, though, Honey Maid responded by creating another video. The brand hired two artists to create a positive message using printouts of the hate mail and negative online comments about the ads. The result is heartwarming. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week