- Watch this April 7
Protect and serve and wail on your opponent's face at center ice, goes the motto the New York City Police Department may want to adopt after a charity hockey game between the city's police and firefighters turned into an all-out brawl.
With the game tied in the second period of the annual event, which took place on Sunday, players paired off for some standard hockey roughhousing. Then more and more participants joined in, leading to an all-out bench-clearing brawl, with gloves and sticks strewn everywhere across the ice. Spoiler: Though most everyone around them went at it, the goalies skated toward each other but never fought, opting instead to watch the bedlam from a distance.
The fight resulted in a 25-minute delay as referees cleared the carnage and doled out penalties. The NYPD would go on to win the game 8-3, though both sides would lose their dignity in the process. New York's finest, indeed. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week