- The future has arrived April 7
Skeptics of renewable energy might struggle to believe it, but following the exciting news that solar energy is as cheap as fossil fuels in Australia, Germany, and Spain, wind power is breaking into the mainstream in the U.S.
It's been going this way for a while. Wind energy as a percentage of U.S. energy usage keeps rising:
What's new is the cost relative to other sources. Wind is now as cheap as natural gas and coal in the U.S.
What does that mean? It means that adopting clean renewable energy doesn't have to be a matter of principled environmentalism. The only green adopters have to believe in is the green in their wallet.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week