- The future has arrived April 7
Skeptics of renewable energy might struggle to believe it, but following the exciting news that solar energy is as cheap as fossil fuels in Australia, Germany, and Spain, wind power is breaking into the mainstream in the U.S.
It's been going this way for a while. Wind energy as a percentage of U.S. energy usage keeps rising:
What's new is the cost relative to other sources. Wind is now as cheap as natural gas and coal in the U.S.
What does that mean? It means that adopting clean renewable energy doesn't have to be a matter of principled environmentalism. The only green adopters have to believe in is the green in their wallet.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week