- The future has arrived April 7
Skeptics of renewable energy might struggle to believe it, but following the exciting news that solar energy is as cheap as fossil fuels in Australia, Germany, and Spain, wind power is breaking into the mainstream in the U.S.
It's been going this way for a while. Wind energy as a percentage of U.S. energy usage keeps rising:
What's new is the cost relative to other sources. Wind is now as cheap as natural gas and coal in the U.S.
What does that mean? It means that adopting clean renewable energy doesn't have to be a matter of principled environmentalism. The only green adopters have to believe in is the green in their wallet.- - John Aziz
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week