- The future has arrived April 7
Skeptics of renewable energy might struggle to believe it, but following the exciting news that solar energy is as cheap as fossil fuels in Australia, Germany, and Spain, wind power is breaking into the mainstream in the U.S.
It's been going this way for a while. Wind energy as a percentage of U.S. energy usage keeps rising:
What's new is the cost relative to other sources. Wind is now as cheap as natural gas and coal in the U.S.
What does that mean? It means that adopting clean renewable energy doesn't have to be a matter of principled environmentalism. The only green adopters have to believe in is the green in their wallet.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week