- The future has arrived April 7
Skeptics of renewable energy might struggle to believe it, but following the exciting news that solar energy is as cheap as fossil fuels in Australia, Germany, and Spain, wind power is breaking into the mainstream in the U.S.
It's been going this way for a while. Wind energy as a percentage of U.S. energy usage keeps rising:
What's new is the cost relative to other sources. Wind is now as cheap as natural gas and coal in the U.S.
What does that mean? It means that adopting clean renewable energy doesn't have to be a matter of principled environmentalism. The only green adopters have to believe in is the green in their wallet.- - John Aziz
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week