- Oops April 8
Rep. Vance McAllister (R-La.) is asking for forgiveness after being caught on camera kissing a staffer. The video, taken from a surveillance camera, shows the married freshman congressman with his district scheduler, Melissa Anne Hixon Peacock, inside of McAllister's congressional office in Monroe, La. Before this scandal, McAllister was best known for bringing Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson to this year's State of the Union Address as his guest.
"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness," McAllister said in a statement. "I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."
The video was obtained by The Ouachita Citizen from an anonymous source. According to the newspaper, Peacock donated $5,200 to McAllister's campaign last fall, and her husband, Heath Peacock, did the same. The congressman — who ran as an upstanding, churchgoing Christian and dedicated husband and father — has asked for privacy, and said he will "do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed." You can watch the footage in this report from local CBS affiliate KNOE News 8. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week