- Oops April 8
Rep. Vance McAllister (R-La.) is asking for forgiveness after being caught on camera kissing a staffer. The video, taken from a surveillance camera, shows the married freshman congressman with his district scheduler, Melissa Anne Hixon Peacock, inside of McAllister's congressional office in Monroe, La. Before this scandal, McAllister was best known for bringing Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson to this year's State of the Union Address as his guest.
"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness," McAllister said in a statement. "I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."
The video was obtained by The Ouachita Citizen from an anonymous source. According to the newspaper, Peacock donated $5,200 to McAllister's campaign last fall, and her husband, Heath Peacock, did the same. The congressman — who ran as an upstanding, churchgoing Christian and dedicated husband and father — has asked for privacy, and said he will "do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed." You can watch the footage in this report from local CBS affiliate KNOE News 8. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week