- Oops April 8
Rep. Vance McAllister (R-La.) is asking for forgiveness after being caught on camera kissing a staffer. The video, taken from a surveillance camera, shows the married freshman congressman with his district scheduler, Melissa Anne Hixon Peacock, inside of McAllister's congressional office in Monroe, La. Before this scandal, McAllister was best known for bringing Duck Dynasty star Willie Robertson to this year's State of the Union Address as his guest.
"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness," McAllister said in a statement. "I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."
The video was obtained by The Ouachita Citizen from an anonymous source. According to the newspaper, Peacock donated $5,200 to McAllister's campaign last fall, and her husband, Heath Peacock, did the same. The congressman — who ran as an upstanding, churchgoing Christian and dedicated husband and father — has asked for privacy, and said he will "do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed." You can watch the footage in this report from local CBS affiliate KNOE News 8. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- The dangers of our passionless American life
Subscribe to the Week