- 2016 Watch April 8
In a column at The Week this morning, Damon Linker argues convincingly that Republicans may have no other option but to go crawling back to the Bush clan if they are to have a chance of defeating a Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016. But some prominent members of the conservative commentariat are already taking issue with Jeb Bush, including the influential columnist Charles Krauthammer, who last night on Fox News said Bush's recent statements on immigration were "bizarre."
Earlier this week, Bush said illegal immigration in many cases was "an act of love. It's an act of commitment to your family." Here's Krauthammer on what GOP primary voters will think about that statement:
"I think there will be a reaction against this particular issue," Krauthammer said. "I think he will [run in 2016], but I don't think he's going to be as well received as he hopes." [Politico]
Bush might currently be the GOP's most electable candidate. But he might also be out of step with a party that has grown increasingly inflexible on a range of issues, none more so than immigration.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week