- 2016 Watch April 8
In a column at The Week this morning, Damon Linker argues convincingly that Republicans may have no other option but to go crawling back to the Bush clan if they are to have a chance of defeating a Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016. But some prominent members of the conservative commentariat are already taking issue with Jeb Bush, including the influential columnist Charles Krauthammer, who last night on Fox News said Bush's recent statements on immigration were "bizarre."
Earlier this week, Bush said illegal immigration in many cases was "an act of love. It's an act of commitment to your family." Here's Krauthammer on what GOP primary voters will think about that statement:
"I think there will be a reaction against this particular issue," Krauthammer said. "I think he will [run in 2016], but I don't think he's going to be as well received as he hopes." [Politico]
Bush might currently be the GOP's most electable candidate. But he might also be out of step with a party that has grown increasingly inflexible on a range of issues, none more so than immigration.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week