- 2016 Watch April 8
In a column at The Week this morning, Damon Linker argues convincingly that Republicans may have no other option but to go crawling back to the Bush clan if they are to have a chance of defeating a Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016. But some prominent members of the conservative commentariat are already taking issue with Jeb Bush, including the influential columnist Charles Krauthammer, who last night on Fox News said Bush's recent statements on immigration were "bizarre."
Earlier this week, Bush said illegal immigration in many cases was "an act of love. It's an act of commitment to your family." Here's Krauthammer on what GOP primary voters will think about that statement:
"I think there will be a reaction against this particular issue," Krauthammer said. "I think he will [run in 2016], but I don't think he's going to be as well received as he hopes." [Politico]
Bush might currently be the GOP's most electable candidate. But he might also be out of step with a party that has grown increasingly inflexible on a range of issues, none more so than immigration.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week