- badvertising April 8
Hey, ladies: Your leg stubble will turn you into a man! Or at least deem you unattractive, unfeminine, and undesirable.
That's the message behind Veet's new ad campaign, which warns women not to "risk dudeness" and encourages them to remove their body hair with its wax strips. In one of the spots, a man is horrified when he wakes up and touches the stubbly leg of his one-night-stand. "Yeah, I know, I'm a little prickly... I shaved yesterday!" pleads the woman, who promptly turns into a hairy man — because body hair is apparently only for dudes.
The message here is clear: A woman is supposed to remove every trace of her naturally-occurring body hair, lest she get judged by nearly everyone. That's why Veet is here! And forget about ever hailing a cab while sporting armpit stubble — that's absolutely disgusting and ain't gonna happen, according to Veet.
The campaign is surprisingly tone-deaf, of course, but it is perhaps even more shocking that numerous reps from Veet and an entire ad agency thought that this "Don't risk dudeness" campaign was the best approach. Watch two of the spots below and see for yourself. --Samantha Rollins
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week