- Nature's Wonders April 9
Marijuana is respectable enough now that the premise of this newscast from the Onion News Network — The Onion's video news unit — is eminently plausible: The anchor and an expert are discussing a new medical study on the effects of pot. But of course this is The Onion. The segment's title gives you a pretty good sense of the joke: "New Marijuana Study Says Everyone Knows You're High And You'll Likely Be Stoned Forever."
The video stands up well on its own, but if you have 12 minutes (and you're not having a bad trip), Gawker has rounded up several of The Onion's follow-up newscasts in one video. Think of them as increasingly trippy variations on a theme, or as a really extended version of a good joke. Here's the original report. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week