- Late Night Antics April 9
Conservatives have long been angry that today's godless liberals in Hollywood couldn't be bothered with making movies from the Bible, noted Jon Stewart in Tuesday night's Daily Show. Well, Hollywood is now coming out with some big-budget Biblical epics — notably Darren Aronofsky's successful new film version of the Noah's Ark story — and... religious conservatives still aren't happy.
Stewart picked through some of the criticisms of Noah — the film never says "God" (it does), isn't historically accurate (duh), and veers from the story told in Genesis (not as much as they say) — and decided that either the critics haven't seen the film, don't know the Bible, or simply don't mean the Old Testament when they pine for more God movies from Hollywood. Jon Stewart's lecture probably won't make Glenn Beck and Fox News commentators any more inclined to like Noah, though. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week