- This is a big deal April 9
UMass guard Derrick Gordon on Wednesday came out in an interview with ESPN, making him the first openly gay college basketball player in the country. Gordon said he came out to his team earlier this month, and decided the time was right to step forward publicly as well.
"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," he told ESPN. "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak."
On the same day, Gordon posted this photo of himself on Instagram and gave thanks to, among others, Jason Collins, who became the first openly gay player in pro sports earlier this year.
"This is the happiest I have ever been in my 22 Years of living," he wrote. "No more HIDING!"--Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week