- This is a big deal April 9
UMass guard Derrick Gordon on Wednesday came out in an interview with ESPN, making him the first openly gay college basketball player in the country. Gordon said he came out to his team earlier this month, and decided the time was right to step forward publicly as well.
"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," he told ESPN. "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak."
On the same day, Gordon posted this photo of himself on Instagram and gave thanks to, among others, Jason Collins, who became the first openly gay player in pro sports earlier this year.
"This is the happiest I have ever been in my 22 Years of living," he wrote. "No more HIDING!"--Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week