- This is a big deal April 9
UMass guard Derrick Gordon on Wednesday came out in an interview with ESPN, making him the first openly gay college basketball player in the country. Gordon said he came out to his team earlier this month, and decided the time was right to step forward publicly as well.
"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way," he told ESPN. "I didn't want to have to lie or sneak."
On the same day, Gordon posted this photo of himself on Instagram and gave thanks to, among others, Jason Collins, who became the first openly gay player in pro sports earlier this year.
"This is the happiest I have ever been in my 22 Years of living," he wrote. "No more HIDING!"--Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The next pandemic
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week