- Oops April 9
Two weeks into the baseball season and a team other than the Mets is the leading contender for "Biggest screw-up of the year."
Atlanta put some pyrotechnics on its big screen in center field, but neglected to remember that fireworks are not only pretty, but very hot, too. A spokesperson for the Braves confirmed to the local NBC affiliate that the mishap really did happen during the team's home opener Tuesday, adding that the flag is made of flame-retardant material so it didn't burn for too long.
In fairness to the Braves, a pyrotechnic operator for the team blamed a "freak shift in the wind" for the incident. But still, shouldn't that have been a consideration when installing the fireworks?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to develop a photographic memory in 4 easy steps
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week