- Oops April 9
Two weeks into the baseball season and a team other than the Mets is the leading contender for "Biggest screw-up of the year."
Atlanta put some pyrotechnics on its big screen in center field, but neglected to remember that fireworks are not only pretty, but very hot, too. A spokesperson for the Braves confirmed to the local NBC affiliate that the mishap really did happen during the team's home opener Tuesday, adding that the flag is made of flame-retardant material so it didn't burn for too long.
In fairness to the Braves, a pyrotechnic operator for the team blamed a "freak shift in the wind" for the incident. But still, shouldn't that have been a consideration when installing the fireworks?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Why insects are the future of food
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week