- Oops April 9
Two weeks into the baseball season and a team other than the Mets is the leading contender for "Biggest screw-up of the year."
Atlanta put some pyrotechnics on its big screen in center field, but neglected to remember that fireworks are not only pretty, but very hot, too. A spokesperson for the Braves confirmed to the local NBC affiliate that the mishap really did happen during the team's home opener Tuesday, adding that the flag is made of flame-retardant material so it didn't burn for too long.
In fairness to the Braves, a pyrotechnic operator for the team blamed a "freak shift in the wind" for the incident. But still, shouldn't that have been a consideration when installing the fireworks?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 6 things the most productive people do every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
Subscribe to the Week