- Oops April 9
Two weeks into the baseball season and a team other than the Mets is the leading contender for "Biggest screw-up of the year."
Atlanta put some pyrotechnics on its big screen in center field, but neglected to remember that fireworks are not only pretty, but very hot, too. A spokesperson for the Braves confirmed to the local NBC affiliate that the mishap really did happen during the team's home opener Tuesday, adding that the flag is made of flame-retardant material so it didn't burn for too long.
In fairness to the Braves, a pyrotechnic operator for the team blamed a "freak shift in the wind" for the incident. But still, shouldn't that have been a consideration when installing the fireworks?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week