- FYI April 10
More than 20 years after its release, "Baby Got Back" is finally getting the classical treatment. Sir Mix-a-Lot's ode to large derrières inspired Gabriel Prokofiev, the grandson of Russian composer Sergei Prokofiev, to compose a piece based on the song. It will be performed by the Seattle Symphony this June.
"I'm orchestrating two of his most famous hits, and he's actually going to rap on stage with orchestra," Prokofiev tells The Quietus. "He's got this rap persona but in reality he's the softest; he's only interested in mixing."
Prokofiev is participating in a series entitled "Sonic Evolution," which has already featured works influenced by Seattle-based musical icons like Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, and Alice in Chains.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week