- on the case April 10
With Brazil less than three months away from the World Cup, the country's crime problem — especially in Rio de Janeiro, which is hosting several matches and the final — is facing additional scrutiny.
Brazil's Globo TV decided to do some man-on-the-street interviews to ask Rio de Janeiro residents whether the issue is as serious as the hype would have us believe. As one woman began to answer, a young man sprinted up, grabbed her gold necklace, and tried to flee. Unfortunately for the would-be thief, he couldn't get a grip on the necklace and had to dash off without it. The television reporter even gave chase for a couple of seconds.
Anecdotally at least, it appears Rio de Janeiro does have a crime problem — and an extremely brazen criminal population, at that.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week