- Watch this April 10
Add this to the list of things Hillary Clinton has in common with George W. Bush: A woman threw a shoe at the former secretary of state Thursday afternoon while she was delivering an address at the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries meeting.
Clinton flinched as the shoe flew past her head, but she was not hit. She took the incident in stride, joking, "Is that part of Cirque du Soleil?"
Mike Carpenter, a spokesman for the institute, said in a statement that the woman, who has not been identified, was not affiliated with the organization, nor was she supposed to be at the event. "Our staff denied her access before she later rushed past security," he said. "An ISRI staffer then stopped her as she approached the stage. She was then handed over to law enforcement." Watch the incident unfold below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week