- happening now April 11
On Thursday, a FedEx truck crashed head-on into a tour bus filled with high school students in Northern California, killing nine and injuring dozens more.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the truck crossed the median on Interstate 5 and struck the tour bus, which was traveling north near the city of Orland. Both drivers were killed; the other fatalities were among passengers on the bus. Authorities said they are unsure what caused the truck to veer off course.
Most of the students on the bus were from the Los Angeles Unified School District, visiting Northern California for a tour of Humboldt State University. "Our hearts go out to those who have been affected, and we are here to support them, and their families, in any way possible," HSU President Rollin Richmond said in a statement. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
Subscribe to the Week