- happening now April 11
On Thursday, a FedEx truck crashed head-on into a tour bus filled with high school students in Northern California, killing nine and injuring dozens more.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the truck crossed the median on Interstate 5 and struck the tour bus, which was traveling north near the city of Orland. Both drivers were killed; the other fatalities were among passengers on the bus. Authorities said they are unsure what caused the truck to veer off course.
Most of the students on the bus were from the Los Angeles Unified School District, visiting Northern California for a tour of Humboldt State University. "Our hearts go out to those who have been affected, and we are here to support them, and their families, in any way possible," HSU President Rollin Richmond said in a statement. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week