- happening now April 11
On Thursday, a FedEx truck crashed head-on into a tour bus filled with high school students in Northern California, killing nine and injuring dozens more.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the truck crossed the median on Interstate 5 and struck the tour bus, which was traveling north near the city of Orland. Both drivers were killed; the other fatalities were among passengers on the bus. Authorities said they are unsure what caused the truck to veer off course.
Most of the students on the bus were from the Los Angeles Unified School District, visiting Northern California for a tour of Humboldt State University. "Our hearts go out to those who have been affected, and we are here to support them, and their families, in any way possible," HSU President Rollin Richmond said in a statement. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week