- happening now April 11
On Thursday, a FedEx truck crashed head-on into a tour bus filled with high school students in Northern California, killing nine and injuring dozens more.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the truck crossed the median on Interstate 5 and struck the tour bus, which was traveling north near the city of Orland. Both drivers were killed; the other fatalities were among passengers on the bus. Authorities said they are unsure what caused the truck to veer off course.
Most of the students on the bus were from the Los Angeles Unified School District, visiting Northern California for a tour of Humboldt State University. "Our hearts go out to those who have been affected, and we are here to support them, and their families, in any way possible," HSU President Rollin Richmond said in a statement. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's new air force is a mystery
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
- How I became a borderline hoarder
Subscribe to the Week