- Smart takes April 11
When a protester threw a shoe at Hillary Clinton last night as she was giving a speech in Las Vegas, it immediately brought to mind the time an Iraqi journalist flung his footwear at George W. Bush in 2008. ("This is a farewell kiss from the Iraqi people, you dog!" the journalist said at the time.) While Clinton's reaction time was a tad on the slow side, Bush ducked the speedy projectile like a cat ninja — and Fox News' Brian Kilmeade isn't about to let you forget it. "President Bush had much better reactions in my humble opinion," he said this morning on Fox & Friends (h/t Media Matters). Judge for yourself below. --Ryu Spaeth
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week