Former Missouri Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) still haunts Republicans after his inflammatory remarks about rape during the 2012 election almost certainly cost his party a U.S. Senate seat.
Now another Akin-like character is popping up in Mississippi's U.S. Senate race.
State Sen. Chris McDaniel (R) is challenging Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) in a Republican primary for a seat that embattled Democrats would love to win.
But recently leaked excerpts from a 10-minute clip from a radio show are enough to make any GOP strategist cringe. The recording from late 2006 or early 2007 has McDaniel riffing on topics from slavery reparations to homosexuality to living in Mexico.
A sampling as compiled by the Wall Street Journal:
On whether to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves: "If they pass reparations, and my taxes are going up, I ain't paying taxes."
On living in Mexico: "I think we all get together, go down there, build us a studio for like 26 pesos, uh and you know, put on a radio show right there in Mexico. Live the rest of our lives there."
On needing to learn Spanish: "Yes, regrettably…You'll have to learn just enough to ask where the bathroom is. Baños. Baños. That's what you say."
On a video game advertisement: "There's a white woman, and she's holding down a black woman. The world's gone nuts. Listen to this. Minority groups in California screaming that the image is racist. San Francisco politician Tom LeLand says, 'It's racially charged, unnecessary and clearly offensive to our community.' Well, she wasn't holding down a gay guy."
Listen to the whole clip here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How I lost all my money
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week