- Get ready for the slow dance April 12
Where was this when I was in high school?
KFC released a new ad campaign this week, just in time for prom. The video features a young man showing up to go through the awkward pre-dance ritual with his date. You know, trading flowers and pat compliments. But then — then! — the fellow opens a box and reveals to his date the ultimate corsage: Baby's breath and a drumstick.
"I know how much you like Original Recipe," he says.
It's not just a commercial, either. Gutsy high schoolers can actually buy a chicken corsage with which to either impress or terrify their date.
Fair warning, though: If the recipient is particularly fond of KFC, dates may find themselves getting a new kind of cold shoulder, just like the guy in the ad, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week