- Get ready for the slow dance April 12
Where was this when I was in high school?
KFC released a new ad campaign this week, just in time for prom. The video features a young man showing up to go through the awkward pre-dance ritual with his date. You know, trading flowers and pat compliments. But then — then! — the fellow opens a box and reveals to his date the ultimate corsage: Baby's breath and a drumstick.
"I know how much you like Original Recipe," he says.
It's not just a commercial, either. Gutsy high schoolers can actually buy a chicken corsage with which to either impress or terrify their date.
Fair warning, though: If the recipient is particularly fond of KFC, dates may find themselves getting a new kind of cold shoulder, just like the guy in the ad, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- Why we should all vacation at the exact same time
Subscribe to the Week