- Get ready for the slow dance April 12
Where was this when I was in high school?
KFC released a new ad campaign this week, just in time for prom. The video features a young man showing up to go through the awkward pre-dance ritual with his date. You know, trading flowers and pat compliments. But then — then! — the fellow opens a box and reveals to his date the ultimate corsage: Baby's breath and a drumstick.
"I know how much you like Original Recipe," he says.
It's not just a commercial, either. Gutsy high schoolers can actually buy a chicken corsage with which to either impress or terrify their date.
Fair warning, though: If the recipient is particularly fond of KFC, dates may find themselves getting a new kind of cold shoulder, just like the guy in the ad, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Don't hate the 'poor door'
Subscribe to the Week