- His Holiness April 13
The White House may be considering a ban on selfies, but Pope Francis is totally alright with them. After speaking to an estimated crowd of 100,000 people for Palm Sunday, Pope Francis hopped in the Popemobile, occasionally stepping down to mingle with those packed into St. Peter's Square. And in a sign of the times, he even posed for a few selfies.
The Pope's official Twitter boasts 3.9 million followers, so the impromptu photo op could spread rapidly and widely. However, that following pales in comparison to Ellen DeGeneres' 28.5 million followers, so don't count on His Holiness breaking the comedian's record-setting Oscar selfie. Also working in Ellen's favor: As far as we know, the Pope's selfies were not part of a phone company's marketing gimmick.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week