- His Holiness April 13
The White House may be considering a ban on selfies, but Pope Francis is totally alright with them. After speaking to an estimated crowd of 100,000 people for Palm Sunday, Pope Francis hopped in the Popemobile, occasionally stepping down to mingle with those packed into St. Peter's Square. And in a sign of the times, he even posed for a few selfies.
The Pope's official Twitter boasts 3.9 million followers, so the impromptu photo op could spread rapidly and widely. However, that following pales in comparison to Ellen DeGeneres' 28.5 million followers, so don't count on His Holiness breaking the comedian's record-setting Oscar selfie. Also working in Ellen's favor: As far as we know, the Pope's selfies were not part of a phone company's marketing gimmick.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 5 innovative uses for baking soda
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Are rabbits for cuddling? For showcasing? For eating?
Subscribe to the Week