- His Holiness April 13
The White House may be considering a ban on selfies, but Pope Francis is totally alright with them. After speaking to an estimated crowd of 100,000 people for Palm Sunday, Pope Francis hopped in the Popemobile, occasionally stepping down to mingle with those packed into St. Peter's Square. And in a sign of the times, he even posed for a few selfies.
The Pope's official Twitter boasts 3.9 million followers, so the impromptu photo op could spread rapidly and widely. However, that following pales in comparison to Ellen DeGeneres' 28.5 million followers, so don't count on His Holiness breaking the comedian's record-setting Oscar selfie. Also working in Ellen's favor: As far as we know, the Pope's selfies were not part of a phone company's marketing gimmick.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
Subscribe to the Week