- His Holiness April 13
The White House may be considering a ban on selfies, but Pope Francis is totally alright with them. After speaking to an estimated crowd of 100,000 people for Palm Sunday, Pope Francis hopped in the Popemobile, occasionally stepping down to mingle with those packed into St. Peter's Square. And in a sign of the times, he even posed for a few selfies.
The Pope's official Twitter boasts 3.9 million followers, so the impromptu photo op could spread rapidly and widely. However, that following pales in comparison to Ellen DeGeneres' 28.5 million followers, so don't count on His Holiness breaking the comedian's record-setting Oscar selfie. Also working in Ellen's favor: As far as we know, the Pope's selfies were not part of a phone company's marketing gimmick.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The super-rich are just as miserable as the rest of us
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
Subscribe to the Week