- RIP April 14
A squirrel paid the ultimate price for his curiosity, but not before causing $300,000 in damages to a $1.9 million community center in Indiana.
The Journal Gazette in Fort Wayne reports that a squirrel made its way into the electrical system at the newly renovated complex and caused a massive power surge that damaged three new HVAC systems and some parts of the boiler system. The result: A repair bill totaling about $300,000. The squirrel didn’t survive.
All repairs will be covered by insurance, minus the $50,000 deductible. The center — a former ice arena — will open as scheduled on June 7.
This isn't the first time a squirrel has caused massive damage, of course. Perhaps the funniest squirrel debacle is this classic tale about a cop's first day on the job, from This American Life. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week