- atwitter April 14
A bored teen on Twitter is probably going to have her internet privileges revoked after tweeting a threat about terrorism to American Airlines. The floral crown-adorned user, named Sarah, joked her name was Ibrahim and threatened an airliner. "I'm part of Al Qaida and on June 1st I'm gonna do something really big bye," she said.
She immediately regretted her joke after the airline tweeted that they were going to forward her IP address and "details" to the FBI. A Twitter spokesman said American Airlines doesn't have access to users' information, so the tweet's message seems more of a scare tactic. Either way, it worked as the teen quickly backpedaled before claiming she was hacked. "I was joking and it was my friend not me, take her IP address not mine," she tweeted. "I'm just a fangirl pls I don't have evil thoughts and plus I'm a white girl."
Her account disappeared late Sunday night, as did American Airlines' tweet. The FBI, citing policy, didn't say if they were investigating the threat.
Update 11:30 a.m.: The teenager behind the tweets has been arrested at her home in the Netherlands, confirms Business Insider. No charges have been filed at this point. "We just thought it was necessary to bring this out mostly because of the fact that it caused a great deal of interest on the Internet," said a spokesperson for the Dutch police.
- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 28, 2014
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
Subscribe to the Week