- can you not? April 15
E! talk-show host Chelsea Handler wants it to be known that she's single and ready to mingle. The Chelsea Lately star is eager to depart the basic cable network once her contract ends at the end of the year because her manager claims to have "at least seven suitors" offering her jobs. One of those places is rumored to be CBS, where the 12:30 a.m. slot is "up in the air," according to the network's CEO.
Last night, Handler posted a photo on Instagram of herself holding a stack of papers adorned with the CBS logo. "Business meeting," the caption read, adding to the speculation that she was in talks with the network to displace Craig Ferguson. The network didn't appreciate the joke, however — and a CBS rep told New York magazine that Handler's CBS talk was just a "general meeting."
"There are no discussions with Chelsea Handler regarding the network's 12:30 late night broadcast," said a CBS spokesman. If it really was just a general meeting with CBS' syndication division, it may not mean much. But we'll have to wait and see what happens next. -- Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week