- Whatever You Say April 16
Phyllis Schlafly, perhaps best known for her decades of professionally telling other women not to work, is back with a Christian Post op-ed published on Tuesday. In it, the conservative commentator has a novel warning: If we don't solve this little problem of women having the audacity to ask for equal pay, marriage as we know it will be over.
"While women prefer to have a higher-earning partner, men generally prefer to be the higher-earning partner in a relationship," she wrote.
This simple but profound difference between the sexes has powerful consequences for the so-called pay gap. Suppose the pay gap between men and women were magically eliminated. If that happened, simple arithmetic suggests that half of women would be unable to find what they regard as a suitable mate. [Christian Post]
Women have no business even asking for equal pay, Schlafly adds, since they "work fewer hours" and "spend fewer years as full-time workers outside the home, avoid jobs that require overtime, and choose jobs with flexibility to take time off for personal reasons." On top of that, she suggests, women also refuse to work at a location that doesn't double as a five-star resort:
Women place a much higher value on pleasant working conditions: a clean, comfortable, air-conditioned office with congenial co-workers. Men, on the other hand, are more willing to endure unpleasant working conditions to earn higher pay, doing dirty, dangerous outside work. [Christian Post]
Schlafly ends her lecture by reminding women that it's important to put a man's needs first: "The best way to improve economic prospects for women is to improve job prospects for the men in their lives, even if that means increasing the so-called pay gap." Ah, to live in Phyllis Schlafly's world, where every day it's 1952.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week