- 2016 Watch April 16
The liberal outlet Mother Jones today asks: "Is New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez the Next Sarah Palin?"
Just to get a feel for the article, here are a couple of key excerpts:
Despite numerous requests, the governor and her aides declined to comment for this piece. But previously unreleased audio recordings, text messages, and emails obtained by Mother Jones reveal a side of Martinez the public has rarely, if ever, seen. In private, Martinez can be nasty, juvenile, and vindictive. She appears ignorant about basic policy issues and has surrounded herself with a clique of advisers who are prone to a foxhole mentality.
... Listening to recordings of Martinez talking with her aides is like watching an episode of HBO's Veep, with over-the-top backroom banter full of pique, self-regard, and vindictiveness. As Martinez and her campaign staff rewatched a recent televised debate, Martinez referred to Denish, her opponent, as "that little bitch." [Mother Jones]
Indeed, there does seem to be a parallel with Palin. But it goes something like this: Just like the former Alaska governor, Gov. Martinez can be seen as a real threat to a liberal movement that has often hitched its electoral future to the "GOP war on women" narrative. (And as a Mexican-American Latina, Martinez may be viewed as an even greater danger.)
And just as a sort of Palin derangement syndrome led to all sorts of crazy antics — from Trig Trutherism to hacking her email — it's not all that difficult to see this Mother Jones article as a harbinger of things to come.
As Mediaite's Noah Rothman put it:
Indicative of Susana Martinez's obvious national ticket appeal, she is already being Palin'd: http://t.co/WXPw1A3E0X— Noah Rothman (@NoahCRothman) April 16, 2014
Let the Palinization begin.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
Subscribe to the Week