- 2016 Watch April 16
The liberal outlet Mother Jones today asks: "Is New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez the Next Sarah Palin?"
Just to get a feel for the article, here are a couple of key excerpts:
Despite numerous requests, the governor and her aides declined to comment for this piece. But previously unreleased audio recordings, text messages, and emails obtained by Mother Jones reveal a side of Martinez the public has rarely, if ever, seen. In private, Martinez can be nasty, juvenile, and vindictive. She appears ignorant about basic policy issues and has surrounded herself with a clique of advisers who are prone to a foxhole mentality.
... Listening to recordings of Martinez talking with her aides is like watching an episode of HBO's Veep, with over-the-top backroom banter full of pique, self-regard, and vindictiveness. As Martinez and her campaign staff rewatched a recent televised debate, Martinez referred to Denish, her opponent, as "that little bitch." [Mother Jones]
Indeed, there does seem to be a parallel with Palin. But it goes something like this: Just like the former Alaska governor, Gov. Martinez can be seen as a real threat to a liberal movement that has often hitched its electoral future to the "GOP war on women" narrative. (And as a Mexican-American Latina, Martinez may be viewed as an even greater danger.)
And just as a sort of Palin derangement syndrome led to all sorts of crazy antics — from Trig Trutherism to hacking her email — it's not all that difficult to see this Mother Jones article as a harbinger of things to come.
As Mediaite's Noah Rothman put it:
Indicative of Susana Martinez's obvious national ticket appeal, she is already being Palin'd: http://t.co/WXPw1A3E0X— Noah Rothman (@NoahCRothman) April 16, 2014
Let the Palinization begin.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week