- small town news April 17
Portland is draining 38 millions of gallons of treated water from a reservoir because a 19-year-old man drained himself into it.
Although the man's urine doesn't pose a health risk — animals routinely pee in the reservoirs, after all — a water department spokesman said the city doesn't want to deliver deliberately tainted material.
The incident occurred earlier this week, when three men were horsing around one night at the massive treatment facility in Oregon. A camera spotted one of the guys peeing through the iron fence, while the other two unsuccessfully tried climbing it. Their names haven't been released, but the men were cited for trespassing. The peeing culprit was cited for public urination.
This is the second time in three years that Portland had to drain a reservoir at this same facility.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week