- small town news April 17
Portland is draining 38 millions of gallons of treated water from a reservoir because a 19-year-old man drained himself into it.
Although the man's urine doesn't pose a health risk — animals routinely pee in the reservoirs, after all — a water department spokesman said the city doesn't want to deliver deliberately tainted material.
The incident occurred earlier this week, when three men were horsing around one night at the massive treatment facility in Oregon. A camera spotted one of the guys peeing through the iron fence, while the other two unsuccessfully tried climbing it. Their names haven't been released, but the men were cited for trespassing. The peeing culprit was cited for public urination.
This is the second time in three years that Portland had to drain a reservoir at this same facility.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
Subscribe to the Week