- small town news April 17
Portland is draining 38 millions of gallons of treated water from a reservoir because a 19-year-old man drained himself into it.
Although the man's urine doesn't pose a health risk — animals routinely pee in the reservoirs, after all — a water department spokesman said the city doesn't want to deliver deliberately tainted material.
The incident occurred earlier this week, when three men were horsing around one night at the massive treatment facility in Oregon. A camera spotted one of the guys peeing through the iron fence, while the other two unsuccessfully tried climbing it. Their names haven't been released, but the men were cited for trespassing. The peeing culprit was cited for public urination.
This is the second time in three years that Portland had to drain a reservoir at this same facility.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
Subscribe to the Week