- This just in April 17
X-Men: Days of Future Past director Bryan Singer has been accused of drugging and raping a teenage boy on multiple occasions, in a series of abuses that began in 1998, according to court documents recently filed in Hawaii and obtained by The Wrap.
The lawsuit levels a number of horrific charges at Singer, alleging that he was "part of a group of adult males similarly positioned in the entertainment industry that maintained and exploited boys in a sordid sex ring." According to court documents, one of those boys was plaintiff Michael Egan, who "was often forced to consume alcoholic beverages and drugs, and was also surreptitiously administered drugs when they were placed in beverages that he consumed."
The lawsuit goes on to allege that Singer repeatedly raped Egan, who was 17 at the time of the alleged assault, both orally and anally — and flew him to Hawaii multiple times, on trips during which he was repeatedly abused. "Defendant Singer promised acting roles to Plaintiff in an X-Men movie, in commercials, and in other of his projects, and professed that he would arrange for Plaintiff to audition for roles in projects in others' productions."
"We are very confident that Bryan will be vindicated in this absurd and defamatory lawsuit," a lawyer for Singer told The Wrap. "It is obvious that this case was filed in an attempt at get publicity at the time when Bryan's new movie is about to open in a few weeks."
"Hollywood has a problem with the sexual exploitation of children," said Egan's attorney Jeff Herman. "This is the first of many cases I will be filing to give these victims a voice and to expose the issue."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week