- Playing politics April 17
Trust in Obama has fallen to new lows, a new poll suggests.
Around six in 10 American voters think Barack Obama lies to the country on important matters some or most of the time, according to a recent poll commissioned by Fox News. Thirty-seven percent think Obama lies "most of the time," while another 24 percent say he lies "some of the time."
In case you're skeptical of the source, know that it was an actual poll of 1,012 registered voters conducted by Anderson Robbins Research and Shaw & Company Research, and not a phone-in poll on Hannity or The O'Reilly Factor.
Its findings are supported by the fact that last year a number of polls — including this one by CNN/ORC — found trust in Obama had fallen below 50 percent for the first time.
Does it matter? Well, Obama can't stand for a third term as president, so perceptions of him as untrustworthy are pretty irrelevant in the wider scheme of things. His domestic legacy remains very much up in the air, and will probably rest on actions taken much earlier in his presidency — like whether the relatively weak Obama recovery strengthens in his last years in office and beyond, and the long-term impacts of ObamaCare. Right now nobody really knows how those things will turn out.
And — importantly, for Democrats wanting to retain the presidency in 2016 — distrust in Obama hasn't seemingly rubbed off much on his potential successor, Hillary Clinton. The Fox poll found 54 percent trusted Hillary, compared to 49 percent for former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and 41 percent for Chris Christie.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Surviving a plane crash
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
Subscribe to the Week