- Change of heart April 18
Charles Cooper, the lawyer who argued before the Supreme Court in defense of California's Proposition 8 banning same-sex marriage, announced that his views on the matter are "evolving."
The change of heart occurred after Cooper learned his stepdaughter was gay. The Associated Press reports that in a new book about Proposition 8, Forcing the Spring: Inside the Fight for Marriage Equality, Cooper says, "My views evolve on issues of this kind the same way as other people's do, and how I view this down the road may not be the way I view it now, or how I viewed it ten years ago."
As the AP points out, Cooper isn't alone in changing his mind on same-sex marriage after learning a child is gay. In 2013, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) reversed his opposition after he found out his son was gay.
Cooper's stepdaughter, Ashley, is set to marry her partner in Massachusetts this summer.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week