- exit this way April 21
Air Canada is firing two baggage handlers after a video posted on YouTube showed the men casually tossing passengers' luggage off a flight of stairs at Toronto's Pearson International Airport. Dwayne Stewart, a passenger on the Vancouver-bound flight, shot the footage Thursday while waiting for his flight to depart.
Instead of walking down the jetway's staircase, the employees flung carry-on-sized bags 20 feet below to a bin on the tarmac. The video quickly racked up more than one million views, and the online outrage prompted an investigation by Air Canada.
"The employees involved have been advised that their employment will be terminated pending the outcome of our investigation," said spokeswoman Angela Mah Sunday night to the Toronto Star. The airline did further damage control on Twitter, telling people they are "extremely disappointed" by the employees' actions. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week