- exit this way April 21
Air Canada is firing two baggage handlers after a video posted on YouTube showed the men casually tossing passengers' luggage off a flight of stairs at Toronto's Pearson International Airport. Dwayne Stewart, a passenger on the Vancouver-bound flight, shot the footage Thursday while waiting for his flight to depart.
Instead of walking down the jetway's staircase, the employees flung carry-on-sized bags 20 feet below to a bin on the tarmac. The video quickly racked up more than one million views, and the online outrage prompted an investigation by Air Canada.
"The employees involved have been advised that their employment will be terminated pending the outcome of our investigation," said spokeswoman Angela Mah Sunday night to the Toronto Star. The airline did further damage control on Twitter, telling people they are "extremely disappointed" by the employees' actions. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
Subscribe to the Week