- exit this way April 21
Air Canada is firing two baggage handlers after a video posted on YouTube showed the men casually tossing passengers' luggage off a flight of stairs at Toronto's Pearson International Airport. Dwayne Stewart, a passenger on the Vancouver-bound flight, shot the footage Thursday while waiting for his flight to depart.
Instead of walking down the jetway's staircase, the employees flung carry-on-sized bags 20 feet below to a bin on the tarmac. The video quickly racked up more than one million views, and the online outrage prompted an investigation by Air Canada.
"The employees involved have been advised that their employment will be terminated pending the outcome of our investigation," said spokeswoman Angela Mah Sunday night to the Toronto Star. The airline did further damage control on Twitter, telling people they are "extremely disappointed" by the employees' actions. --Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week