- our selfies, ourselves April 21
Bryant University has reached "peak selfie." The Rhode Island school is begging students not to take selfies on stage when they receive their diplomas at next month's graduation ceremony.
While the trendy self-portraits are certainly annoying, the school claims that the real reason behind the move is a practical one, as stopping to take a photo onstage not only will hold up the ceremony, but also could wreck the professional photos taken at the event. "We have about 850 graduates, and we have a professional photographer snapping their picture when they shake my hand and get their diploma," said Bryant University President Ronald Machtley. "I don't think their mom and dad and grandma want to get a picture of them holding up their cellphone."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week