- our selfies, ourselves April 21
Bryant University has reached "peak selfie." The Rhode Island school is begging students not to take selfies on stage when they receive their diplomas at next month's graduation ceremony.
While the trendy self-portraits are certainly annoying, the school claims that the real reason behind the move is a practical one, as stopping to take a photo onstage not only will hold up the ceremony, but also could wreck the professional photos taken at the event. "We have about 850 graduates, and we have a professional photographer snapping their picture when they shake my hand and get their diploma," said Bryant University President Ronald Machtley. "I don't think their mom and dad and grandma want to get a picture of them holding up their cellphone."- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week