- on the case April 21
Oscar Pistorius might not have a career in running after his murder trial finishes, but perhaps he could pursue one in acting. A South African newspaper columnist is claiming that the disgraced Olympian, whose crying fits and vomiting have become regular occurrences at his trial, took acting classes to help him appear more sympathetic to the court.
Jani Allen, a former columnist for the South African Sunday Times, wrote last week that a so-called reliable source told her that the "Blade Runner" had been coached by one his friends. She doubled down on the claims yesterday in an interview with a British newspaper, saying she has it on "very good authority that Oscar is being coached on his court performance by a close actor friend, who is also famous in South Africa."
Pistorius is accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at their South African home last year. The prosecution says he killed her in anger following an argument, while Pistorius claims he mistook her for an intruder.
The trial resumes May 5; Pistorius could face 25 years in prison if found guilty.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
Subscribe to the Week