- on the case April 21
Oscar Pistorius might not have a career in running after his murder trial finishes, but perhaps he could pursue one in acting. A South African newspaper columnist is claiming that the disgraced Olympian, whose crying fits and vomiting have become regular occurrences at his trial, took acting classes to help him appear more sympathetic to the court.
Jani Allen, a former columnist for the South African Sunday Times, wrote last week that a so-called reliable source told her that the "Blade Runner" had been coached by one his friends. She doubled down on the claims yesterday in an interview with a British newspaper, saying she has it on "very good authority that Oscar is being coached on his court performance by a close actor friend, who is also famous in South Africa."
Pistorius is accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at their South African home last year. The prosecution says he killed her in anger following an argument, while Pistorius claims he mistook her for an intruder.
The trial resumes May 5; Pistorius could face 25 years in prison if found guilty.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week