- on the case April 21
Oscar Pistorius might not have a career in running after his murder trial finishes, but perhaps he could pursue one in acting. A South African newspaper columnist is claiming that the disgraced Olympian, whose crying fits and vomiting have become regular occurrences at his trial, took acting classes to help him appear more sympathetic to the court.
Jani Allen, a former columnist for the South African Sunday Times, wrote last week that a so-called reliable source told her that the "Blade Runner" had been coached by one his friends. She doubled down on the claims yesterday in an interview with a British newspaper, saying she has it on "very good authority that Oscar is being coached on his court performance by a close actor friend, who is also famous in South Africa."
Pistorius is accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at their South African home last year. The prosecution says he killed her in anger following an argument, while Pistorius claims he mistook her for an intruder.
The trial resumes May 5; Pistorius could face 25 years in prison if found guilty.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week