- Mom! April 21
All parents have quirky strategies for getting their kids to behave, and the president and first lady are no exception. In an interview with Michael Strahan, co-host of Live with Kelly and Michael, Michelle Obama shared her secret for keeping daughters, Malia (15) and Sasha (12), on their best behavior. The first lady joked, "If they're like looking a little, you know, uninvolved in an event, I'll just lean over and be like, "If you don't smile, I'm gonna start dancin'... And Barack is like, I'm gonna sing, I'm gonna start singin'. Here I go. Here I go.'"
It just goes to show that not even the first daughters can escape embarrassing parents.
In the interview, Michelle Obama also discussed the White House's annual Easter Egg Roll, how the family spends time together, and who will eventually teach Malia and Sasha how to drive. --Kaitlin Roberts
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week