- 2014 Watch April 21
Some TV ads just work. This one, by Arkansas Senate candidate (and U.S. Rep.) Tom Cotton, would be good even if it weren't for the strategic reasons I'm about to describe below.
First, though, give it a watch:
So what does this accomplish?
1. It obviously reinforces the key part of Cotton's bio — his military service.
2. It serves to remind everyone of Sen. Mark Pryor's most costly gaffe (his comments about Cotton's military service giving him "a sense of entitlement.")
3. Both these things are accomplished in a humorous manner. And as I've noted before, the knock on Cotton has always been that he's too stiff and serious — that you'd rather have a beer with Pryor. This humorous ad (coupled with the music) shows Cotton's personality, and undermines the notion that he's aloof.
Lastly, an interesting point: You'll notice Cotton's drill sergeant isn't wearing the official drill sergeant hat (similar to the Smokey Bear hat). That might have made for an interesting visual, but I'm told this was done to avoid potentially running afoul of any official U.S. Army regulations.
Even without the hat, this ad is a home run.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week