- 2014 Watch April 21
Some TV ads just work. This one, by Arkansas Senate candidate (and U.S. Rep.) Tom Cotton, would be good even if it weren't for the strategic reasons I'm about to describe below.
First, though, give it a watch:
So what does this accomplish?
1. It obviously reinforces the key part of Cotton's bio — his military service.
2. It serves to remind everyone of Sen. Mark Pryor's most costly gaffe (his comments about Cotton's military service giving him "a sense of entitlement.")
3. Both these things are accomplished in a humorous manner. And as I've noted before, the knock on Cotton has always been that he's too stiff and serious — that you'd rather have a beer with Pryor. This humorous ad (coupled with the music) shows Cotton's personality, and undermines the notion that he's aloof.
Lastly, an interesting point: You'll notice Cotton's drill sergeant isn't wearing the official drill sergeant hat (similar to the Smokey Bear hat). That might have made for an interesting visual, but I'm told this was done to avoid potentially running afoul of any official U.S. Army regulations.
Even without the hat, this ad is a home run.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week