- Bad Ideas April 21
Come on down! You're about to be the next contestant to get caught apparently committing fraud on The Price is Right!
Cathy Cashwell made a big mistake last year when she appeared on the beloved game show and spun the Big Wheel not once but twice, despite the fact that she was off work for a shoulder injury that purportedly made her "totally unable to stand, run, reach, or grab," according to an ABC news investigation. Cashwell (you can't really blame her for going on The Price is Right — she had the perfect name) was collecting $3,000 a month in workers' comp when she made her television debut, ABC News says.
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, questionable workers' comp claims are up 24 percent over the last year, and costing the government millions. In addition to Cashwell, ABC News tracked down one of the more than 100 New York City police officers and firefighters recently indicted for falsely claiming they had PTSD and anxiety as a result of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. ABC News' target, Vincent Lamantia, had claimed he was too depressed to work, but prosecutors say he took lavish vacations and then bragged online about having a new job.
As for Cashwell, she told ABC News' Cecilia Vegas that despite looking joyous during her appearance on The Price is Right, she was "hurting the whole time." Watch the video below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week