- Putin! April 22
Russian President Vladimir Putin "lies all the time," said Jon Stewart on Monday night's Daily Show, citing as a prime example Putin's protestations that the mysterious "green men" in Crimea weren't Russian troops... until he admitted they were Russian troops, after the Ukrainian peninsula was safely in Russian control. Putin is making similar denials about the well-armed men taking over government buildings in eastern Ukraine, Stewart noted, and based on interviews and photographic evidence, it's pretty clear Putin is lying again.
The question is how to respond to such obvious falsehoods, Stewart said. He didn't provide any answers really, but did showcase how adept the supposedly amateur Ukrainian self-defense militias are at doing doughnuts in pilfered tanks. Maybe fugitive NSA leaker Edward Snowden could hold Putin's feet to the fire? Stewart wondered. It turns out: Nope. But Stewart didn't blame Snowden: "Who would've ever thought Putin could outwit a prerecorded question from a man whose life is in his hands?" --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week