- What? April 22
The story about the teen who hid in a plane's wheel well — and survived a five-hour flight in subzero temperatures from California to Hawaii — is getting even more bizarre. Hawaii News Now reports the teen might have hopped on the Hawaiian Airlines jet because he was trying to get to Africa, where his biological mother lives.
The 16-year-old boy lives with his biological father and stepmother in Santa Clara, Calif., and he reportedly misses his biological mother. Police sources say the teen boarded the first plane he saw at San Jose International Airport on Sunday. The teen told authorities that he passed out shortly after take-off. The Department of Human Services in Hawaii said he's in the care of Child Welfare Services and is working to "ensure the child's safe return" to California soon.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
- 5 crazy inventions from the mind of Nikola Tesla
Subscribe to the Week