- What? April 22
The story about the teen who hid in a plane's wheel well — and survived a five-hour flight in subzero temperatures from California to Hawaii — is getting even more bizarre. Hawaii News Now reports the teen might have hopped on the Hawaiian Airlines jet because he was trying to get to Africa, where his biological mother lives.
The 16-year-old boy lives with his biological father and stepmother in Santa Clara, Calif., and he reportedly misses his biological mother. Police sources say the teen boarded the first plane he saw at San Jose International Airport on Sunday. The teen told authorities that he passed out shortly after take-off. The Department of Human Services in Hawaii said he's in the care of Child Welfare Services and is working to "ensure the child's safe return" to California soon.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
Subscribe to the Week