- What? April 22
The story about the teen who hid in a plane's wheel well — and survived a five-hour flight in subzero temperatures from California to Hawaii — is getting even more bizarre. Hawaii News Now reports the teen might have hopped on the Hawaiian Airlines jet because he was trying to get to Africa, where his biological mother lives.
The 16-year-old boy lives with his biological father and stepmother in Santa Clara, Calif., and he reportedly misses his biological mother. Police sources say the teen boarded the first plane he saw at San Jose International Airport on Sunday. The teen told authorities that he passed out shortly after take-off. The Department of Human Services in Hawaii said he's in the care of Child Welfare Services and is working to "ensure the child's safe return" to California soon.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week