- Not So Fast April 22
LeBron James is the most popular athlete in about half of all U.S. states. Or rather, he is if this map is to be believed:
While the map is interesting — Hawaii loves Manti T'eo? — it doesn't quite show each state's true favorite athlete. That's because the map's results are based on Google search traffic, which doesn't necessarily signify fandom.
For instance, I loathe Alex Rodriguez but often search his name, if only to chuckle at his affinity for centaurs. And I don't care one way or the other about Prince Fielder, but I run boolean searches on him now and again to revisit his laughable antics like this, this, this, and, of course, this:
Prince Fielder does not know how to slide, but he knows how to entertain.
And just look at Ohio. It's possible the state still loves James even though he bailed on Cleveland for Miami. But I'd bet a bunch of those searches weren't for "LeBron James fan club" but rather for "LeBron James" and "voodoo doll."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week