- Not So Fast April 22
LeBron James is the most popular athlete in about half of all U.S. states. Or rather, he is if this map is to be believed:
While the map is interesting — Hawaii loves Manti T'eo? — it doesn't quite show each state's true favorite athlete. That's because the map's results are based on Google search traffic, which doesn't necessarily signify fandom.
For instance, I loathe Alex Rodriguez but often search his name, if only to chuckle at his affinity for centaurs. And I don't care one way or the other about Prince Fielder, but I run boolean searches on him now and again to revisit his laughable antics like this, this, this, and, of course, this:
Prince Fielder does not know how to slide, but he knows how to entertain.
And just look at Ohio. It's possible the state still loves James even though he bailed on Cleveland for Miami. But I'd bet a bunch of those searches weren't for "LeBron James fan club" but rather for "LeBron James" and "voodoo doll."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
Subscribe to the Week