- 2014 Watch April 22
He's down in the polls and bleeding campaign staffers, but Kentucky Senate candidate Matt Bevin has a secret weapon in his arsenal to defeat Sen. Mitch McConnell in the upcoming GOP primary: some incredibly cute kids.
Nine of them, to be precise (four of whom Bevin and his wife adopted from Ethiopia).
"Mitch McConnell is telling a bunch of lies about my dad," the commercial begins.
A very good ad, no doubt. And quite clever, since kids are like Kryptonite to politicians (they can get away with saying things — bragging about their dad; calling his opponent a liar — and there's not a damn thing anyone can do or say about it).
So far, this might be the highlight for Bevin's campaign, but time is running out for him.
If only the kids were on the ballot...- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week