- 2014 Watch April 22
He's down in the polls and bleeding campaign staffers, but Kentucky Senate candidate Matt Bevin has a secret weapon in his arsenal to defeat Sen. Mitch McConnell in the upcoming GOP primary: some incredibly cute kids.
Nine of them, to be precise (four of whom Bevin and his wife adopted from Ethiopia).
"Mitch McConnell is telling a bunch of lies about my dad," the commercial begins.
A very good ad, no doubt. And quite clever, since kids are like Kryptonite to politicians (they can get away with saying things — bragging about their dad; calling his opponent a liar — and there's not a damn thing anyone can do or say about it).
So far, this might be the highlight for Bevin's campaign, but time is running out for him.
If only the kids were on the ballot...- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week