- This just in April 22
Simon Ostrovsky, an American reporter with Vice News, has reportedly been captured by a militia in the eastern Ukrainian city of Sloviansk. There are few details available about the reporter's detention, but the town's pro-Russian mayor Vyacheslav Ponomarev confirmed the news to The Telegraph.
"Vice News is aware of the situation and is in contact with the United States State Department and other appropriate government authorities to secure the safety and security of our friend and colleague, Simon Ostrovsky," a Vice spokesperson said.
Ostrovsky was in the city live-tweeting Ponomarev's press conference. His last few tweets are about the mayor's crackdown on the press.- - Jordan Valinsky
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
Subscribe to the Week