- Bad job, bad effort April 22
"Give me all the money or I'll make French fries!" Terrifying, right? So that's probably not what a Providence man shouted while trying to rob some local businesses, but it would have been apt given his choice of weapon: a potato.
Yes, police in Providence, R.I., are looking for a suspect who allegedly tried to rob a convenience store and a dry cleaner Monday while brandishing the starchy vegetable, according to the local WPRI news station. Maybe the suspect left his potato gun at home and didn't feel like going back to get it?
Regardless, the effort did not go so well. A clerk at one location gave the suspect a fake $20 bill, while a manager at the other chased him away with a baseball bat. Pro tip to would-be robbers: If you're going to rob a joint with a plant, maybe try a disorienting Buddha's hand, or at least a prickly cactus.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How I lost all my money
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week