- Bad job, bad effort April 22
"Give me all the money or I'll make French fries!" Terrifying, right? So that's probably not what a Providence man shouted while trying to rob some local businesses, but it would have been apt given his choice of weapon: a potato.
Yes, police in Providence, R.I., are looking for a suspect who allegedly tried to rob a convenience store and a dry cleaner Monday while brandishing the starchy vegetable, according to the local WPRI news station. Maybe the suspect left his potato gun at home and didn't feel like going back to get it?
Regardless, the effort did not go so well. A clerk at one location gave the suspect a fake $20 bill, while a manager at the other chased him away with a baseball bat. Pro tip to would-be robbers: If you're going to rob a joint with a plant, maybe try a disorienting Buddha's hand, or at least a prickly cactus.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
Subscribe to the Week