- Oops April 22
On Tuesday, a New York Police Department-affiliated Twitter account posted the following benign message:
It was an attempt at community outreach. A valiant attempt, but a doomed one. Though the NYPD did get a smattering of legitimate responses, its critics quickly hijacked the hashtag with a torrent of images of alleged police brutality and incompetence. A sampling:
You can find plenty more pictures (some NSFW) here.
Really, shouldn't the NYPD have seen this one coming? The department essentially said, "Here, we have made a hashtag for you all to document in one place your virulent displeasure with our controversial practices. Enjoy!"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week