- Oops April 22
On Tuesday, a New York Police Department-affiliated Twitter account posted the following benign message:
It was an attempt at community outreach. A valiant attempt, but a doomed one. Though the NYPD did get a smattering of legitimate responses, its critics quickly hijacked the hashtag with a torrent of images of alleged police brutality and incompetence. A sampling:
You can find plenty more pictures (some NSFW) here.
Really, shouldn't the NYPD have seen this one coming? The department essentially said, "Here, we have made a hashtag for you all to document in one place your virulent displeasure with our controversial practices. Enjoy!"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week