- Oops April 22
On Tuesday, a New York Police Department-affiliated Twitter account posted the following benign message:
It was an attempt at community outreach. A valiant attempt, but a doomed one. Though the NYPD did get a smattering of legitimate responses, its critics quickly hijacked the hashtag with a torrent of images of alleged police brutality and incompetence. A sampling:
You can find plenty more pictures (some NSFW) here.
Really, shouldn't the NYPD have seen this one coming? The department essentially said, "Here, we have made a hashtag for you all to document in one place your virulent displeasure with our controversial practices. Enjoy!"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
When Americans banned Christmas
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week