- Crime and punishment April 23
According to police, one Pennsylvania woman wasn't about to let a hospital stay — including a stint in the intensive care unit — get in the way of her lucrative career dealing heroin.
Authorities in Greensburg say that 38-year-old Lori Sullenberger sold $90 worth of heroin last week to an undercover informant from her room at Excela Westmoreland Hospital. Security was already suspicious of Sullenberger, due to the high volume of people going in and out of her room. When police conducted a search, they discovered $3,800 worth of heroin, $1,000 in cash, and two syringes.
Sullenberger was charged Tuesday with multiple counts of felony and misdemeanor drug-related crimes. Here's more on the story, from WXPI News. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week