- Daily Gossip April 23
It's been a big month for Lupita Nyong'o. In the wake of her Oscar-winning performance in 12 Years a Slave, Nyong'o has signed a contract with CAA and stepped up as one of the faces of Lancome. Today, People announced that Nyong'o is this year's Most Beautiful Woman, joining a group of previous recipients that includes Gwyneth Paltrow, Beyonce Knowles, and Jennifer Lopez.
"It was exciting and just a major, major compliment," said Nyong'o in People. "And especially, I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen."
"There was really no contest this year. She seemed like the only choice," said People editorial director Jess Cagle. "Usually there's a lot of debate; this time, we were all in agreement. She's obviously talented, obviously beautiful, she is incredibly stylish, but the way she carries herself with such grace and such humility, I think it's what put her over the top."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week