- Daily Gossip April 23
It's been a big month for Lupita Nyong'o. In the wake of her Oscar-winning performance in 12 Years a Slave, Nyong'o has signed a contract with CAA and stepped up as one of the faces of Lancome. Today, People announced that Nyong'o is this year's Most Beautiful Woman, joining a group of previous recipients that includes Gwyneth Paltrow, Beyonce Knowles, and Jennifer Lopez.
"It was exciting and just a major, major compliment," said Nyong'o in People. "And especially, I was happy for all the girls who would see me on [it] and feel a little more seen."
"There was really no contest this year. She seemed like the only choice," said People editorial director Jess Cagle. "Usually there's a lot of debate; this time, we were all in agreement. She's obviously talented, obviously beautiful, she is incredibly stylish, but the way she carries herself with such grace and such humility, I think it's what put her over the top."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week