- The price isn't right April 23
It's no secret that being in a wedding party can be costly, but a new study shows that even attending a wedding is a burdensome endeavor. According to American Express, the cost of attending a wedding is up 75 percent from just two years ago.
The study found that the average cost of attending a wedding, including travel accommodations as well as clothes and accessories, is $592. For members of the wedding party, the average cost of attendance is $618. Of course, those numbers don't include the price of the wedding gift, which adds an average of $109.
So, the next time your nagging parents ask when you'll start planning your future, you can always tell them that you've really just got your relatives' and friends' interests (and wallets) at heart.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 'Tis the season for archaic English
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week