- The price isn't right April 23
It's no secret that being in a wedding party can be costly, but a new study shows that even attending a wedding is a burdensome endeavor. According to American Express, the cost of attending a wedding is up 75 percent from just two years ago.
The study found that the average cost of attending a wedding, including travel accommodations as well as clothes and accessories, is $592. For members of the wedding party, the average cost of attendance is $618. Of course, those numbers don't include the price of the wedding gift, which adds an average of $109.
So, the next time your nagging parents ask when you'll start planning your future, you can always tell them that you've really just got your relatives' and friends' interests (and wallets) at heart.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
Subscribe to the Week