- The price isn't right April 23
It's no secret that being in a wedding party can be costly, but a new study shows that even attending a wedding is a burdensome endeavor. According to American Express, the cost of attending a wedding is up 75 percent from just two years ago.
The study found that the average cost of attending a wedding, including travel accommodations as well as clothes and accessories, is $592. For members of the wedding party, the average cost of attendance is $618. Of course, those numbers don't include the price of the wedding gift, which adds an average of $109.
So, the next time your nagging parents ask when you'll start planning your future, you can always tell them that you've really just got your relatives' and friends' interests (and wallets) at heart.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week