- The price isn't right April 23
It's no secret that being in a wedding party can be costly, but a new study shows that even attending a wedding is a burdensome endeavor. According to American Express, the cost of attending a wedding is up 75 percent from just two years ago.
The study found that the average cost of attending a wedding, including travel accommodations as well as clothes and accessories, is $592. For members of the wedding party, the average cost of attendance is $618. Of course, those numbers don't include the price of the wedding gift, which adds an average of $109.
So, the next time your nagging parents ask when you'll start planning your future, you can always tell them that you've really just got your relatives' and friends' interests (and wallets) at heart.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- Ted Cruz and the most cynical, despicable political stunt of the year
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week